Bredasdorp, Western Cape, South Africa




The small farming town of Bredasdorp is situated 25km north of Cape Agulhas. Lying in the heart of the Overberg, Bredasdorp is a centre for wool, grain and dairy farming. Founded in 1838, Bredasdorp was named after the father of South Africa's merino sheep industry and Cape Town's first major, Michael van Breda.

It is the closest town of any significance to Cape Agulhas and to the De Hoop Nature Reserve. It has a few shops and one particularly interesting museum dedicated to Shipwrecks as well as an agricultural museum and many fine examples of Cape Gothic style architecture dating from the 19th century.

The town has recently seen growth as a result of the South African Air Force Missile Testing Range which was established in 1986. The testing range is located near Arniston. Not far from Bredasdorp is the wonderfully preserved Moravian mission village of Elim.

Bredasdorp is about 50-odd kilometres from the N2. There are two routes, the R317 and R319, which describe a triangle with the N2, so the shortest route is the one nearest your starting point. The nearest airport is at Cape Town, about 200km away.